Re: New UEFI guide on the wiki

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 04:42:23PM +0100, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:14:06PM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>
> > (This is a particular pain point for me -- my main development box was
> > originally installed as BIOS, and I switched it to UEFI, and I'm sure
> > I did it wrong because the boot process is impressively finicky.)
>
> If your hard disc is GPT partition the movement from BIOS to UEFI boot
> shoot be very easy. You have to install grub2-efi and create the configuration
> file on /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.

…and configure the UEFI boot options, which you can't do because you're
not running under UEFI and so have no access to UEFI runtime services.
The workarounds required for this will tend to be vendor specific,
although ensuring that you have the fallback loader supplied by shim may
work in many cases.

> 3.) On my MacBoot Pro (late 2013) I required the usage of the
> linux16/initrd16 commands instead of linux/initrd commands for
> the BIOS-mode boot.

Yeah it's really a mistake for us to be using the linux/initrd commands
under any circumstances.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx