Re: libxnvctrl status?

Hello,

On 4 February 2014 04:58, Christopher Meng <cickumqt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is this library disallowed now because it's from nvidia? Or it should be retired?

In my opinion it should be removed from Fedora. Currently it is used by very few packages:

mate-sensors-applet
hwloc
nvclock
oyranos

The current 169.12 library works only with very old GeForce 5/6 class hardware [1]; and the main consumer is nvclock. Its functionality has been integrated in the main nvidia-settings control panel, upstream is dead and there's no way to make it work on recent hardware. On my (old) system it just crashes with proprietary or open source drivers.

The source code comes from the nvidia-settings tarball; and following the same logic we should allow all the relevant open source components of the Nvidia driver [2] in Fedora, that is:

nvidia-settings
nvidia-xconfig
nvidia-persistenced

Considering this is nonsense advertising of proprietary software and in the end is totally useless (as the most useful parts of the driver are closed source) it should be removed entirely from the distribution. Nvidia is also planning to split libXNVCtrl out of nvidia-settings [3], but again, when installing proprietary drivers it will be overwritten anyway, making it again really useless to keep.

Should I file an FPC bug for asking removal of it?

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/