Re: compat (libgal2 gtkhtml3) packages for Fedora Extras

On 11/14/2004 07:36:12 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Last time I read the packaging guidelines - Fedora.us wanted the
epoch
> specified in the release tag.

Never.

> Furthermore, they wanted it to be the first number.

Never.

The prefix 0.fdr has nothing to do with the Epoch. It ensures that any
package merged into Fedora Core would win version-release comparison.

I just looked through the doc again - you're right.
It had been awhile since I read it, I don't package for Fedora (hence my request for someone who does ...).
Their scheme though is rather complex - I guess to overcome shortcoming in rpm's versioning - but still overly complex.

It's probably vepoch I was remembering, but not having read the docs - well anyway, the epoch in the release tag makes sense to me because it gives a visual representation of what the epoch is just by looking at the file.

I'm not suggesting Fedora change things, but epoch makes sense, a complex release scheme, and vepoch - and there you have it.

Oh well.

So - any fedora extras people (who know the release scheme ;) want to package these for extras?