Re: Sub-package dropped upstream

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:38:50 -0800, Jorge Gallegos wrote:

> The package may not come back any time soon, and I actually have no idea
> if patching it back from the old sources would be feasible (I haven't
> looked to what extent it is broken.) If it does come back in the future
> I understand it should be named something else... should that potential
> future package _also_ obsolete this one? (I don't think so?)

If upstream renames it, too, moving the Obsoletes to that _new_ subpackage
doesn't add much value, since it would only affect people who have kept
the old package.

If upstream doesn't rename it, you can let the package return with a
%version-%release higher than what you've specified in the Obsoletes tag.
The packaging guidelines section explains that.