Re: Grub installation. First potential Fedora killer

On 01/07/2014 12:28 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Jan 7, 2014, at 12:28 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recalled that
we'd had some kind of issue with the mkconfig/install ordering before
while I was writing the patch, indeed, but I couldn't recall if it was
mkconfig sometimes requiring install to have been run, or the other way
around...I could probably dredge it out of long-term memory if I sat
down and looked for it.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2012-12/msg00018.html

grub-install comes before grub-mkconfig. And /etc/default/grub needs to be written before grub-mkconfig is called.

But all of those details can be ignored if the existing code for "install bootloader" is used for  "do not install bootloader", while the later merely causes option --grub-setup=/bin/true to be inserted into the grub-install command. That's more robust as everyone's exercising the same code.

OK, I have been following this thread with interest. For years now, I have been accomplishing the same thing (not touching the real boot MBR) in my kickstart installs by specifying that --boot-drive=sdb (for example) when the real MBR is on /dev/sda. This installs/creates all of grub2's configuration while not really installing the MBR. It is not clear to me that grubs-install really needs to run before grub2-mkconfig is run but this approach lets both happen.

I like Adam's patch a lot although it obviously needs some testing to make sure that it works the way we want it to work.

I have "this thing" about destroying working systems so I have a multiboot implementation based on using grub2 which facilitates multiple installs with each install still being available.

Gene