Re: idea for installation - web

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM, Jos Vos <jos@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:19:30AM +0200, חץ בן חמו wrote:
>
>> Could someone please add them to the boot menu please? I've been
>> searching for ages for those options and I didn't see it mentioned
>> anywhere.
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/ap-admin-options.html
>
> It's just useless to add such options to the boot menu, as many
> of them require extra parameters (like "vncpassword").
>
> The "text" install is not very attractive to give as option.

Compared to the current graphically intensive, slow, and extremely
confusing "spoke and wheel" model that has next to nothing to do with
how the installation is actually done? Especially for low bandwidth
remote or virtualized consoles, where getting the full graphical
installation working is nightmarish?

It's very attractive, indeed.

> You started your mail saying "I find my self installing Fedora on many
> systems": in that case, use kickstart.  I nearly don't use the
> graphical installer (especially since the installer, but that's my
> personal opinion, became extremely difficult to use since F18 :-( ),
> I just tweak my kickstart files.

Kickstart has its own unaddressed issues. The storage of the
post-inallation interpreted "anaconda-ks.cfg" file, rather than a copy
of the actual kickstart file used, is one of them. The limitations of
the GUI for creating kickstart files, that creates an entirely
distinct output format from the "anaconda-ks.cfg" file and makes
differences hard to interpret, is another. That the "anaconda-ks.cfg"
file does not store "%post" or "%pre" commands is another. And that
the graphical tool for creating kickstart files cannot handle multiple
"%pre" or "%post" scripts is yet another.

I've personally installed something like 20,000 Red Hat and Fedora
based systems, including hardware and software compatibility for new
environments and new operating systems. I'm afraid that I have to
actively recommend against the current Fedora graphical installer, and
encourage people to learn kickstart syntax so they can roll their own
scriptable deployment  environments. Like the current release of Gnome
3 for default graphical environments, it's added a lot of "conceptual
design" that actively impedes normal use.