Re: ABRT in the comps group 'standard'

On 12/06/2013 04:07 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 12/06/2013 02:45 PM, Michal Toman wrote:
On 06.12.2013 14:34, Ralf Corsepius  wrote:
On 12/06/2013 02:14 PM, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:

ABRT does not send *any* information unless you agree to do it. Not even
the anonymous reports. It is true that the settings could be in Anaconda
and I think it belongs in there. But at the very moment this is not
happening, so ABRT asks you on first launch. It is not ABRT's fault that
the majority of users blindly clicks "Next, Next, Next" and enables the
automatic sending.

Additionally, if you want to prevent business information leak, do not
connect your machines directly to the Internet.
I am talking not talking about highsecurity machines. I am talking about
abrt passing on password, ips, filenames etc,

 > This approach has been
working perfectly for many years and I don't think much has changed in
that area lately.
There were reports of abrt sending out private and confidential
information to the net and reports of abrt sending reports without
inspection.

- were are those reports?

I've seen the later happening to myself. I've seen many crashes of abrt
itself - I.e. abrt is not working perfectly at all.

- that's interesting observation and quality indicator, because I've seen the following components crash a lot:

- gnome-shell
- blueman
- kernel
- pulseaudion
- firefox
- tracker
- nautilus
......< quite a long list of other components> .....

- so ABRT doesn't seem to perform any worse than the other components in Fedora...

To cut a long story short: To me, abrt the plague: As a user, as a
package maintainer and as sysadmin.

To cut the long story short - Thank you very much for your specific examples of such behavior, it's very helpful and the ABRT devels can react properly and fix these problems.

--Jirka

Ralf