Re: Kernel event library bundling

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:05:54PM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> Hi, Florian.
>>
>> On Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 11:38, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> > There seems to be a library for processing kernel monitoring events
>> > called "pevent", "libtrace", "traceevent" etc., which might
>> > originally come from the kernel package (and is used there by perf),
>> > but is copied at least into powertop and rasdaemon.
>> >
>> > Does this fall under the scope of the "no bundled libraries" goal?
>>
>> It might. Please file bugs against packages which do the bundling
>> and make them block DuplicSysLibsTracker.
>>
> If you don't want to unbundle the library from the other packages
> ou'll want to file an FPC ticket as well.  I've pinged jwb about this
> to see if the kernel guys have some information that might be relevant to
> whether we should grant an exception or not.

I talked to Steven Rostedt, one of the upstream authors of the lib.
It seems they're working towards providing it as a shared lib, but
aren't quite ready to do that yet.  Until they think they're in a
position to ship a shared lib and not have it break things using it on
upgrade, I'd suggest people go for the exception.  We update the
kernel far too often to start shipping a library with an unstable
API/ABI.

josh