Re: F21 System Wide Change: Headless Java

Am 19.11.2013 17:15, schrieb Stanislav Ochotnicky:
>> I mean (and sorry that I wasn't clear), why the choice to make java-headless
>> the special case?  Especially if (as it appears from the reply to Jerry
>> James), most packages in Fedora will only need the headless version.
>>
>> (So the headless version would be the java package,  The version with the
>> gui nevironmen deps would be java-x11 or similar).
>
> If someone wanted to install just OpenJDK for their own in-house Java
> application they would have to know to request full -x11 version. I would wager
> we'd be receiving a lot of bugs if we went this way. If someone needs headless
> they will be actively looking for it. If they want "java" they will not consider
> that they might get incomplete version. Not to mention possible 3rd party RPMs
> that might exist

what about having a "java-1.7.0-openjdk" meta-package obsoleting the existing one
and pulling *both* but decide if Fedora packages if the headless is enough for
dependencies and so packagers of sevrer software can require this?

this way you would have the least surprise for someone who does not care about
the difference and expects the full one by install "java-1.7.0-openjdk" but
make it really easy to uninstall any graphical dependencies on servers