Re: OpenH264 in Fedora

On 11/04/2013 03:39 PM, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 21:29 +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
Fedora mustn't have third-party repositories like RPM Fusion enabled by
default. Users must consciously configure them.
Therefore Fedora mustn't download Cisco's binaries by default. It will
have to be something that users must consciously configure.
It can ask the user whether he wants to opt-in/out for the plugin installation, removing this mechanism at all won't help the users.

So what's the big deal? If Cisco goes through with this, then there
will be one more free but patent-encumbered implementation. Another
implementation doesn't hurt, but I don't see how it solves any
fundamental problems.
It solves a fundamental problem, you have to pay MPEG-LA a license to
distribute binaries, so now we have a source that is willing to produce
binaries for as many architectures as we need that are licensed by
MPEG-LA.
Your reasoning basically is the same as it applies to any non-distributable piece of non-open source SW, be it non-open due to licensing or patent reasons. I.e. thiis reasoning contradicts the working principles of open source and Fedora.

Ralf