Re: Fedora search

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:51:07 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Ben Boeckel <mathstuf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Google is having more and more privacy issues lately. Why not use
> > DuckDuckGo and write a 'bang' search for fedora sites?
> > !fedora-guidelines, !fedora-package !fedora-wiki, etc.?
>
> This has been discussed to death, please go an read the previous
> threads on at least the Board Advisory list.

Sorry, I'll update my list here. Is there a dead-horses@ list to keep
up-to-date on these? ;)

*shrug* It was mainly a "if you're using an external search engine, I'd
rather see DDG than Google backing it" comment.

> The fact is that it's very unlikely that with the likes of the NSA
> that DDGs any better than any of the others and it uses the others
> underneath.

In re the NSA, it's probably best to treat them as an APT. I'm more
worried about limiting the damage and making it as hard as possible for
them[1]. As for DDG using the others, I'm less worried about it since it
then gets attributed to DDG, not me (though I'm sure the other search
engines could still track if they really wanted). I also think DDG
doesn't use Google by default (mainly Yahoo! and Bing), but with bang
searches, you don't even hit the other engines at all.

--Ben

[1]Yes, I know I'm using gmail...it's on the TODO list :/ .