Re: $HOME/.local/bin in $PATH

On 2013-10-29 10:56, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 10/29/2013 08:07 AM, Matthias Runge wrote:
On 10/28/2013 09:05 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:28:01AM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
* Tue Jun 07 2011 Roman Rakus <…> - 4.2.10-3
- Added $HOME/.local/bin to PATH in .bash_profile (#699812)
An invisible directory in everyone's PATH. That's rather unfortunate.
Okay, I'll bite. Why is this _particularly_ unfortunate? The directory isn't actually "invisible", just hidden. There are plenty of hidden files in home
directories which are executed all of the time, like ~/.bashrc and
~/.bash_profile, and whatever X startup scripts your environment uses.

Another reason, why this is unfortunate is:

We're supporting multiple arches. User directories are for user data.
No, user directories are not restricted to data. A user may put anything into them.

Esp. it is intended to share user directories between computers. So,
it's absolutely ok to share between multiple arches, such as i386, arm, etc.
It's not limited to architectures. Users may even share their homes across different OSes (Consider nfs-mounted home in a heterogenous network). However, coping with the issues related to this is up to the user rsp. the "conventions" of his local environment (network).
+1.

As such conventions are beyond the scope of a linux distro, it's a bad idea to let packages add PATHs underneath of $HOME.

Ralf

Indeed. But isn't the primary usecase here other sw installed by user and not packages? Since such sw already have a defined convention for data (~/.local/share), it makes a lot of sense to use ~/.local/bin as sort of "personal %_bindir" while installing - it makes ~/.local to a sane prefix installation-wise.

That said, if visibility is crucial ~/bin and ~/.local/bin could be symlinked as someone pointed out earlier in this thread. ~/.local/bin could perhaps be seen just as an installation view of $HOME. The arguments for hiding the executable files in user dialogues does not really convince me.

BTW, don't we also lack a default, user-controlled directory for manpages? Shouldn't ~/.local/share/man be part of user's default MANPATH? Same usecase, basically same solution...

--alec