Re: various mishandlings of corrupt GPT

On Oct 24, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Jeffrey Bastian <jbastian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:49:35PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> The bottom line question is, would it be useful to have an fsck_gpt
>> run by systemd at either startup or shutdown time?
>
> I have a system that corrupts the backup GPT on every reboot.

Certain RAID implementations write metadata at the end of the disk and step on the backup GPT in this manner. But that was on computers with BIOS firmware that weren't GPT aware. UEFI firmware obviously should be GPT aware so it'd be quite a bungling if its firmware RAID were writing metadata where the backup GPT goes. But it's worth seeing if the firmware is up to date.

You could also use dd and hexdump to read in ~100 of the last sectors of the disk, and see if the metadata written to that area is identifiable.

Chris Murphy