Re: LVM thin provisioning and virt-manager

On Oct 16, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 01:09:25PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Caching mode was none in all prior cases.
>
> Note that cache=none is almost never useful.  It bypasses the host
> cache so you don't get the benefit of having lots of free host memory,
> plus causes endless pain because of filesystems that don't support
> O_DIRECT (eg. tmpfs) or have buggy O_DIRECT support (eg. glibc on top
> of older kernels).  It took me quite a long time to realize this -- it
> was the default in libguestfs until quite recently :-(

Curious, it seems no cache should perform almost as well as writeback, and much better than writethrough. But safer than either writeback or unsafe. I think the qcow2 metadata preallocation is what's making a bulk of the difference in what I'm seeing.

qcow2 prealloc lazy metadata1.1 + virtio + unsafe caching is on par with linear LV, which is about as simple a layer as there is. This qcow2 config very slightly beat the LV configuration (also using virtio + unsafe caching); this despite it being effectively ext4 on top of XFS.

> Just remember that cache=unsafe is called unsafe for a reason.  If
> your host crashes, you can scramble the guest filesystems so it's
> impossible to recover.  For testing you probably don't care …

Nope.

So is a compromise between performance and some safety to use writeback instead of unsafe? Might be fun to willfully injure a btrfs file system with both and see if it can at least allow reading of what was successfully written, or if it's just trashed.

Chris Murphy