Re: Software management: Call for RFEs results!

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:04:55AM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > I won't speak for Michael, but I think the answer is no. COPRs fills a
> > need, but it's _too_ wild west (no package signatures, for example). We
> > need to support multiple language runtimes and native upstream packaging
> > *in* Fedora.
> Ok then, talk to FPC about this. Personally I'd be against creating the
> wild west from Fedora itself and I'd rather like to have have it in COPRs.
> Fedora should keep its high standard of Software packaging (which usually
> doesn't apply for upstream packages).

I *am* talking to FPC about this.

But I think you're misunderstanding me here. We need something that is more
reliable, trustable, and consistent than the wild west, in _addition_ to
what COPRs provides.

In order to actually have an impact on making the world better -- applying
those high standards where they have an effect -- we need to be relevant and
interesting to what people are actually doing. If we aren't, why would
people use our distribution? And if they don't, what are we doing this for?

We have a mantra of "upstream! upstream! upstream!" for software development
and patches. In the olden days, we didn't do that for packaging, because
there was no consistent upstream packaging at all (just the occasional
upstream shipping terrible distro-targetted packages, or else some weird
custom installer). But now, there are important and well-used packaging
systems at an upstream ecosystem level, and we're fighting that rather than
adapting -- to our own detriment.

We need to take the upstream mantra there too, for the exact same reasons.
We can bring library packages to a higher standard at our level for a small
impact via constant, ongoing work for ourselves. Or, we can make those
_same_ improvements upstream, where we can share the ongoing maintenance and
make things better for all users of the software.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>