Re: LVM thin provisioning and virt-manager

On 10/15/2013 05:15 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Josh Stone <jistone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> FWIW, I have tried, and my VMs with thin LV storage are working fine,
>> even though the libvirt storage pool barfs on the VG.  (bz924672)
>
> So you're using virsh to compel it to use the LV I take it?

I only just started using this, and I converted my existing VMs to this
underneath by manually creating a thin volume, copying the "thick"
volume to it, then lvrename so the thin is in place.  Libvirt didn't bat
an eye at the change.

I've since tried cloning by taking a manual LVM snapshot, then
"virt-clone ... --file=/dev/vg_foo/lv_bar --preserve-data".  This also
booted on the thin device just fine.  It would be nice if virt-clone
could do the snapshot itself though.

So I'm not sure about virsh commands, but it seems possible.  I did try
in virt-manager, you can still get to the thin volumes by using "Browse
Local" and go into /dev (assuming you are actually local).