Re: [HEADSUP] Atlas changed libraries

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:26:16 +0200
Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/22/2013 05:33 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >
> > Any guidelines or suggestions as to whether to link to the serial or
> > threaded library?
> >

> For some not yet known reason, threaded library built in koji does
> not work (fails at pthread_create). My local mockbuild works without
> any problem. Use serial for now.
>
> In the future: If your app does the parallelization, use serial. In
> single-process single-threaded apps use parallel Atlas.

Well, this depends somewhat on the use-case. If individual threads
call BLAS functions, then you should use the sequential library. But if
the calls are in sequential parts, then you can use the parallel
library.

OpenBLAS also has an OpenMP flavored variant that can be safely used
inside OpenMP parallellized programs. The OpenMP runtime picks up if
there is parallellism already in place; this doesn't happen with
pthreads.
--
Susi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor