Re: hidden GRUB menu -> Re: Suspension problem last 2 days

On 09/22/2013 06:13 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 03:21:32 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
now we have exactly what i said will happen: users in trouble does not know how to
boot the still installed older kernel because they never learned that there are
more than one because they never faced it as all the years before

My grandfather still believes those are multiple _different_ Fedora
installations, each having different games/files.  As he has also CentOS menu
item there having multiple Fedora items is just too much for him.

Since Fedora has adopted grub2, I haven't had a Fedora installation whose grub2 was working flawlessly, worse since systemd.

Going after these issues forces me to dig into grub2 and kernel parameters, even though I really don't want to :)

Failed boot of a new kernel is a rare case needing assistance of someone more
capable of admin work.

Correct, but "somewhat working/somewhat failing" boots are quite common. I guess, they are much more common than most people around here believe, because such cases often are hidden by "rhgb" and "quiet".

 Such person knows how to display the menu.
I am inclinded to agree in case of hard failures, but not in case of "minor failures".

Ralf