Re: Firewall blocking desktop features

On 2013-09-11 15:41, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 2013-09-11 15:20, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 09/11/2013 02:46 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

Asking her "Do you want to make security changes to share directory
/home/phyllis/Share?"  Or

Do you want to make security changes to share Printer XYZ?

Would make sense.
My marriage would be facing serious troubles, if my wife opens any
port on our shared machines ;)

Seriously, I think you guys are forgetting Linux isn't a
Single-User-Single-Seat OSes.

Ralf

Well, it is. Also.

Sure, Single-User-Single-Seat systems are a singular, degenerated case of Multi-User-Multi-Seat systems.

And hat's really the core here. It's so damned
different in these two cases.

Correct, it means that Single-Seat-Single-User focused approaches often lack the generality required on Multi-User-Multi-Seat systems. It often means approaches, which are easily applicable on other OSes, will never fly on Linux.

Ralf

This discussion could easily fly away. Trying to stay on topic: what we are discussing so far is hints for firewall configuration for each application. I don't think anyone should be upset by that. The key issue is just *who* is punching the hole. But isn't this as simple as having administrative rights for this, which some wifes have and some don't?

--alec