Packages requiring Xorg "BackingStore" "true"

Hello,

Some time ago I've packaged Xfoil, Avl and Xrotor (which are popular codes for foil/fluid-dynamics related computations), but I never ended up posting a package review for one reason: the plot window of those programs needs "BackingStore" "true" set in xorg.conf, or otherwise the contents of the plot windows will disappear as soon as something else covers the window. Now, this is not a terribly huge blocker, in the sense that the package basically also works without the setting, but still, it is not pretty. Hence I wonder on possible approaches to pursue: - There are reports of BackingStore causing instabilities with certain configurations, so I guess shipping a file in xorg.conf.d is not really the way to go. - A README file telling the user that sHe should enable the setting for the optimal experience but warning of potential instability is probably the best way to proceed, though the user needs to think of looking in /usr/share/doc/Xfoil or in the read the package description to gather this information. - Question for anyone with Xorg knowledge: how feasible is it to patch out of the plot window code the need for BackingStore? I.e. does it only require some minor changes to the Xlib calls? For reference, the code is here: [1]

Thanks!
Sandro

[1] http://smani.fedorapeople.org/Xwin.c