Re: separation emacs-common into more packages

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:54:47 +0200, Petr Hracek wrote:

Hi folks,

I would like to separate emacs-common into more packages (in rawhide
currently).
emacs-common contains all lisp files, info and man pages
Do you think that it is a good idea to separate them into groups like

emacs-org (directory /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org)
emacs-progmodes (directory /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/progmodes)

What do you thing emacs users?
What would be the benefit?

Would it reduce package dependencies a lot? Currently, emacs-common
doesn't depend on many things.

Are there inter-dependencies between the various script files?

Would it only reduce the package size?
No, I would like to split to the more understandable subpackages.
Side effect is reduced the package size emacs-common
But there could be any inter-dependencties which needs to be solved of course before this split.

Affect package is only emacs-common.

Fragmentation of a package into too many subpackages will typically result
in users installing "emacs*" because else it would be too much of a burden
to track down the individual pieces that are needed/wanted.
Hmm, that's another approach that when emacs will be splitted into many subpackages
then user will install emacs* which is not the aim of this split.

$ yum list emacs\*|wc -l
136

That's an overwhelming number of add-ons already.

For run-time packages, I prefer splitting of subpackages for technical
reasons, such as deps on optional stuff that decreases stability. I don't
mind the size of a primary application package.
Thanks for your point of view

--
Best regards / S pozdravem
Petr Hracek