Re: Default boot/root filesystem

On 9/9/13 10:56 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 05:35:05PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
>> If people want to switch the Fedora default to XFS, I'll gladly file
>> the feature.  :)
>
> Why is XFS better than ext4. When I checked a few months ago, XFS did
> not even support shrinking, but only growing. Even now there seems to be
> only xfs_growfs on F19, but no tool to shrink it.

There is no universal "better" so I won't argue that point.  TBH,
ext4 is probably more performant for the most common types of
machines, storage, and workloads under typical Fedora </handwave>.

XFS really shines as things get bigger - bigger storage, more cpus,
more memory, more spindles.

As for shrink, you are right - there is no xfs shrink.

(OTOH, I have seen a fair bit of damage done by ext4 shrink, so I'm
not so sure lack of shrink should count *against* xfs) ;)

-Eric