Re: COPR

On 09/02/2013 10:54 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:52:05AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 09:01 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
Also, wow, I just followed and read the link:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2013-07/msg00044.html

I know this is old code and stuff, but writing the data to the swap
partition sounds very Rube Goldberg.

It sounds complicated. But the reason is:
since during build, the code is run under root, you must assume very
hostile environment.
The packager can do on builder *anything*. Even modify file system.
Directly on block device.
And if you mount the guestfs as whole FS, there is potential to exploit
kernel FS. In past there were problems where kernel oopsed because FS
was damaged. So OBS team decided that this has potential for exploit and
into swap data is written number of blocks where the files reside and
from that guest FS are read just those blocks directly.
Using virtio-serial can be used for that, but I guess that it was not
available at that time (and AFAIK it will not work no s390 zVM).

Regular networking is also an option, I think. The networking stack is more robust than the file system stack. (Which puts the idea to use air-gapped machines and thumb drives for data transfer between them into an interesting light, by the way.)