Re: Mouse focus stealing bug

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 01:19:54PM +0200, Maros Zatko wrote:
> Hello dear Fedora comunity,
>
> I've hit very weird bug which happen to get very urgent now.
> Something (very likely GTK{2,3} but not sure at all) is stealing my
> mouse focus
> so that I cannot click anymore. Symptoms are in range from being
> able to click
> once or several times AFTER switching desktop (tag), to being able
> to click only
> with left button (with right being totally unresponsive) to not
> being able to click
> at all anymore until I kill Xorg.
>
> Killing Xorg was *the fix* -- for you to understand, after reboot I
> *had* to kill Xorg
> session three times, with spawning some GTK app in between runs so
> that I hit
> the issue and Xorg restart had the right effect.
> What happens now is that Xorg restart are NOT helping any more, i.e.
> after that
> it "works" for about 5 minutes and then it get progressively more and more
> wrong until I cannot click any more.
>
> My nowadays combo is Xmonad with nm-applet and some other basics plus
> firefox, xchat, pidgin and some gnome-terminals (and couple of other random
> stuff). To hit the issue is enough to spawn xchat and firefox in a
> clean session.
>
> I've been hitting the very same issue before when I was using Awesome WM,
> but I thought it was its issue so I've picked xmonad but after some
> time the same
> issues returned.
>
> So, dear Fedora community, I beg you for help. I have no idea how
> can I fix this,
> nor how can I debug it. Any help would be really welcome.

sounds like a stuck grab. that can be a bug in the server or the
application, but it's notoriously difficult to debug.

grabs are triggered by keyboard shortcuts, popup/dropdown menus and by
simple button presses (i.e. drag and drop usually triggers a grab).

generally if grab is stuck, the client with the grab still receives events,
so you may be able to narrow it down by clicking and hoping that _something_
responds to the click. that is the client with the grab then.

You'll have to figure out a reproducible test case because there are so many
factors at play and the code is so convoluted that debugging this otherwise
is almost impossible.

Cheers,
  Peter