Re: Graphics driver support in F21+

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:13:09AM -0400, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> Sorry to come out of left field like this, but would the system profile
> info we collect on install be useful in determining the weight of the
> need for some of these drivers?  For example, if there is still a bunch
> of SIS video adapters out there, we might prioritize support for that
> driver, but then not for others that don't show-up in our hardware surveys.

Another way to look at it is the platform capabilities of these graphics
devices.  For example, Fedora 19's release notes claims a minimum of 1GB
RAM is required.  Were there any pre-PCIe platforms capable of
supporting this much RAM?

Ditto on the embedded graphics (eg SiS or i810 etc) -- many of those
platforms had serious RAM limitations too.  I have a pile of old P4+i845
boxes stacked in a corner that max out at 512MB (due to chipset
limitations) which isn't even enough RAM to boot the Fedora installer in
text mode.

On the other hand, graphics chips that were available on PCI add-in
cards could theoretically be used on modern systems, so those may be
worth continuing to support.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^