Re: F21 schedule: what would you do with more time?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Based on discussion at Flock, on the devel mailing list, and in the FESCo
> meeting, we are looking for feedback on the idea of a longer release cycle
> for Fedora 21 -- not (right now at least) the bigger question of the 6-month
> cycle overall, but just, right now, slowing down for a release to get some
> things in order.
>
> Specifically, both Release Engineering and QA have clear needs (and even
> plans for) greater automatiion, but are also incredibly busy simply doing
> the things they need to do _now_ to get the release out the door.
>
> So, FESCo would like to see some specifics, like "If we had one week with
> nothing else to worry about, we could have automated generation and upload
> of cloud images" (to pick an example I personally care about). Or "with six
> months of overall delay, we could have continuous integration testing of a
> key subset of rawhide". Or "we could spend a couple of weeks and automate
> the new package and review workflow".
>
> What Infrastructure projects would be helped by this? Web and design team,
> would slowing down the release focus allow time to work on, oh, say, getting
> the Wiki beautiful (or does it not matter)? What else?
>
> As we look at Fedora.next ideas and possibly decide to start implementation
> in the F21 timeframe, we will likely find _new_ things that take specific
> work. Let's not worry about that right now. What things we do _now_ could be
> improved with the investment of some effort?

Given that most of this stuff can be done parallel to the release (it
is not like everyone is busy for full 6 months during the release
cycle) I doubt this gains us much if anything. People will use the
addtional time to do what they always do which means we just get a
release with roughly the changes / churn of 2 releases.