Re: What to do with a noarch package that fails to build on ARM

On 08/20/2013 10:16 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/20/2013 09:43 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:

The end solution to this is to actually build all packages on all
arches and not have the secondary arches suck down completed builds
from primary koji.  I realize this would increase the build load on
those arches significantly, but it would catch these issues.

The downside is that we'd end up with non-identical RPMs with identical
NEVRAs among the primary architectures.  This can't be a good thing.

I think you mean "... among the architectures." ?

No, we already have this situation with secondary architectures today because they don't suck in the noarch packages built along with arch-dependent packages on primary.

But we already have that with archful packages across the
architectures,

Not really, there is something that prevented this issue from showing up with i386/x86_64.

> so I guess I'm forgetting why it's so horrible.

We'll see. There's a widely held belief that each NEVRA only exists once in the system.

Perhaps we'll start swapping SHA1HEADER hashes when debugging some things. (Regular digests of the RPM files aren't stable due to resigning.)