Re: Removable storage devices and sync

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
Nils Philippsen wrote:

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 11:30 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

Hi.

I noticed that external storage deviced that are automagically added to
/etc/fstab by hal do not get the sync flag anymore (at least I think they
used to get it). Is this intentional?

I know that sync does not solve all problems with suddenly disappearing
devices, but it sure helps :)

IIRC it depends on the size of the storage, i.e. if it is below a certain size it won't get moutned sync because then it's probably some kind of a flash device which can only be written a certain number of times. In that case, sync is a bad idea because it will wear your device much faster.

What about noatime for such devices ? Shouldn't that help the wear of such
devices ? Especially since many flash devices have FAT fileystems on them,and
atime seems to be mapped to the other time fields on fat.
Pretty much ignore this if I'm not mistaken.
FC3 seems to add noatime, FC2 does not.