Re: F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Robert Marcano
<robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is a better explanation of why the use /usr/share/javascript: We want
> to be compatible with others distribution that have the legacy idea that
> JavaScript is a browser only thing, so in this directory we will only store
> JavaScript that run on the browser

No, we want to be compatible with the real world where that's where
99% of JS is used.

> This sounds like you think there aren't JavaScript libraries that aren't
> tied to an specific runtime, there are
>
> So, where do I put the code for a reusable, non web based, or runtime
> dependent JavaScript library? like [1] or [2], these examples doesn't have
> Node.js, GNOME Shell, nor GNOME JavaScript applications dependencies, pure
> and simple JavaScript. I don't see it on the "JavaScript Packaging
> Guidelines". If this is a general "JavaScript Packaging Guidelines", it
> should standardize something for them, if it is "JavaScript for browser
> Packaging Guidelines" it should be renamed

Just because JS is obstensibly browser-specific doesn't mean it's
useless to any of the other runtimes either.  jQuery gets used a lot
in the node universe too.  (You get a server-side implementation of
the DOM with node's jsdom package which is very useful in certain
situations.)

That means the set of JavaScript that is only ever useful for sending
to browsers is the empty set, so it's completely pointless to
partition off a space for only that.

> If everything else apply to them, I don't see why a Node.js application or a
> GNOME Shell extension need to pull a package named web-assets, it is a wrong
> name, plain and simple, and worse If they don't store anything on
> /usr/share/javascript because they aren't browser code, why pull them?

You only need "web-assets-filesystem" if you need /usr/share/javascript.

Clarified in:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/JavaScript&diff=349388&oldid=348671

-T.C.