Re: F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

On 08/06/2013 02:36 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 22:57 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:

Do you know there are GNOME JavaScript applications? And that
JavaScript is being encouraged as a language for desktop applications?
So all those libraries that can be used on desktop and web clients

There's *very* little JavaScript code out there that is not tied to the
underlying platform; typically when people say JavaScript they mean code
that uses the DOM, XHR, etc.  node.js and gjs have independent
underlying platforms (custom and gobject-introspection respectively).

"*very* little code" is not an opportunity to say: "lets treat all of them equally". Examples: [1] sjcl or [2] crypto-js. They aren't tied to a browser but can be used on it. Or we have /usr/share/web-javascript and /usr/share/non-web-javascript or something like that, or treat them equally and share it all to the web wrongly

Java packaging guidelines make no distinction if the Java code is being used on a web applet or not, and it shouldn't. If a package is reusable and is being used on another package a link to it should be used, done. /usr/share/java is not shared by default because there are Java applets on the repository (VNC remote viewer). I know, I know applets are dying but follow my idea

[1] http://crypto.stanford.edu/sjcl/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/crypto-js/

It makes no sense to serve gjs or node.js code to the web.