Re: /usr/etc?

Ondrej Vasik (ovasik@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> Now I probably see why I did that - it was in the RPM_BUILD_ROOT from
> some reason and because of the capabilities change, I needed to
> explicitly mention all directories created in RPM_BUILD_ROOT. So this
> commit just exposed /usr/etc explicitly what was in the package payload
> since at least 2004 (I don't have older data). If noone knows why this
> directory should exist, I'll be more than happy to drop it...

Yeah, it's always been in there back to 1998, at least. It came from
FSSTND (the FHS precursor):
	http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/fsstnd/old/fsstnd-1.2.txt

4.5  /usr/etc : Site-wide system configuration

Storing configuration in /usr/etc for the software found in /usr/bin and
/usr/sbin is a problem.  It makes the read-only mounting of /usr through
CD-ROM or NFS delivery very difficult at best.

One possible solution that we considered was to completely eliminate
/usr/etc and specify that all configuration be stored in /etc.  A
problem with this approach is that it does not properly anticipate the
possibility that many sites may want to have some configuration files
that are not machine-local.

We eventually decided that /etc should be the only directory that is
actually referenced by programs (that is, everything should look for
configuration in /etc and not in /usr/etc).  Any configuration files
that need to be site-wide and are not needed before /usr is mounted (or
in an emergency situation) should then be placed in /usr/etc.  Then,
specific files (in /etc) on specific machines may or may not be
symbolically linked to appropriate configuration files located in
/usr/etc.  This also means that /usr/etc is technically an optional
directory in the strictest sense, but we still recommend that all Linux
systems incorporate it.

It is not recommended for /usr/etc to contain symbolic links that point
to files in /etc.  This is unnecessary and interferes with local control
on machines that share a /usr directory.

It (and /usr/local/etc) were dropped in FHS 2.1 in 2001. So... nuke it?

Your partner in archaeology,
Bill