Re: Python code not being byte-compiled when build on ARM ?

I think I found the issue with vegastrike-data but I'm not sure why
yum isn't creating .pyo's

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So it could be that brp-python-bytecompile isn't byte compiling correctly.  Whatever
> files are created as part of the upstream package's build process are being
> packaged but brp-python-bytecompile isn't compiling anything else like it's
> supposed to.

This theory was wrong.  I built a setup.py using package and as the
last step of the %install I rm'd all of the .pyc and .pyo files in the
buildroot.  The built package still contained the .pyc and .pyo byte
compiled files so the brp-python-bytecompile script created them
correctly.

> I then took a look at rpm -ql yum on f17, f18, and f19.... it looks like
> there are no .pyo files for yum in f19 either.  f18 and f17 do have .pyo
> files.  So perhaps this is a problem that's come about in the time since
> vegastrike-data was last compiled on F19 but we're only seeing it now?

I looked at the brp-python-bytecompile and saw that it has some sanity
checks at the top of the script.  Of particular interest is:

  # If we don't have a python interpreter, avoid changing anything.
  default_python=${1:-/usr/bin/python}
  if [ ! -x "$default_python" ]; then
          exit 0
  fi

I then noticed that vegastrike-data does not BuildRequire: python  and
only python-libs is being added to the buildroot for the
vegastrike-data build.  I think that having an explicit BuildRequire:
python will fix the vegastrike-data build.

Like I say, though, this doesn't apply to yum.  Yum is bringing the
python package into the buildroot so I don't know why it isn't
building .pyos (and I don't have time to look into that atm).

-Toshio