Re: heads up - Qt qreal difference on ARM

2013/8/2 Adam Jackson <ajax@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 11:38 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 08/02/2013 09:45 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> > Judging by a google search for "qreal" "float" "arm" this difference
>> > causes endless problems.  I even found a Fedora build bug related to it.
>> >
>> > However it's a matter for upstream to fix it.  Not something we could
>> > carry around only in Fedora IMHO.
>>
>> I would expect that consistency across Fedora architectures is more
>> important than alignment to upstream.
>
> If we're going to start casually disregarding binary portability between
> Fedora and other Linuxes, this is not where I'd start.

  Last time I looked at it, it was not easy either, because there was too
much inline asm for 32 bit float, so, was not just switching some typedef.
  qreal as float also causes a lot of other problems because everybody
expects qreal to be double, even when expanding those inline functions
with a constant argument, need to cast it to float or it will not compile.
  Most trouble I had was python bindings, because there are too many
dynamically generated files, and it is not trivial to patch those to create
temporary vectors to convert float vectors to/from double vectors.

> - ajax

Paulo