Re: Does your application depend on, or report, free disk space? Re: F20 Self Contained Change: OS Installer Support for LVM Thin Provisioning

On 07/29/2013 08:38 PM, Ric Wheeler wrote:

If application A does a stat or statvfs() call, sees 1GB of space left
and then does a write, we could easily lose that race to any other
application.

If you want to reserve space, you need to grab the space yourself
(always works with a large "write()" but preallocation can also help
without dm-thin).

In order to have it work "always", you'll have to write unpredictable data. If you write just zeros, the reservation isn't guaranteed if the file system supports compression.

I'm pretty sure we want a crass layering violation for this one (probably a new mode flag for fallocate), to ensure proper storage reservation for things like VM images.