Re: Does your application depend on, or report, free disk space? Re: F20 Self Contained Change: OS Installer Support for LVM Thin Provisioning

On Jul 29, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From an API POV, libvirt doesn't need/care about the free space on the
> volume underlying the filesystem. We actually only care about the free
> space in a given directory that we're using for disk images. It just
> happens that we implement this using statvfs() currently. So when I
> ask for an API above, don't take this to mean I want a statvfs() that
> knows about sparse volumes. An API or syscall that provides free space
> for individual directories is fine with me.

Got it. So what's needed is an API that can return available space to user/application, while abstracting whether the limit is a function of btrfs raid peculiarities, thinp overcommitting, or file system quota? And then applications that need to know what this limit is, need to use this new API?

Chris Murphy