Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next"

On 07/22/2013 07:38 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:

   Conclusion
   ---

   * Refocus Core to provide a better platform for building on
   * Make room for innovation at the "Ring 2" level
   * Empower SIGs to create solutions that fit
   * Won't break what we have
   * And we can start right now

I'm afraid this is all a bit too hand wavy for me to get too much out of it. I guess first off I'd like to know in specific terms what would change for the ring 0+1 items from what we are doing now. Anything?

As for the higher stuff, I think this has brought some good discussion around some of the issues of app deployment and managing competing dependency requirements - and that dialog needs to continue and expand to include the broader development communities. But I really see it as impractical for Fedora to host much more than what it already does. And the focus Fedora brings on keeping development up to date I believe is a vital one for open source in general.

And it's not "rings". It's a rats nest of interconnected dependencies. And until there is a system for completely isolating the different chunks that would added on (if that is even desirable for Fedora to develop/support) it's an intractable problem.

One the anecdotal side - I manage a small office of scientists. We use ScientificLinux for most of our servers and computational nodes. We use Fedora on many of our laptops and desktops. I do so because EL just doesn't handle some of the new laptop hardware. I generally have half of the users on one release and the other half on the previous and upgrade to Fn+2 when the time comes to limit upgrades to once per year. And I use Fedora because it is closely tied to RHEL.

However, most of my users complain about the constant changes and breakages, both in the UI and in the underlying system. For that reason I'm going to give it a shot with running SL6 + Rex's KDE 4.10 repo on some user's machines. While the UI will still change, hopefully the breakages will slow. Also, it will sync development with the compute machines.

So to some extent the idea of layered systems is appealing. But I realize that supporting the development of repos like Rex's would be a larger burden on our infrastructure staff. I would like to see the development of a FreeIPA + koji + ? VM appliance that would allow communities to come together on their own to provide their own repos.

Many of our users have shifted to Macs because of the necessity to work with Microsoft Office documents and LibreOffice just doesn't cut it.

I've been having reasonable success running an increasing number of Fedora servers. By using VMs and targeting single services it is fairly easy to maintain them (with the help of tools like puppet and cobbler) and upgrade as needed. For such systems yum upgrades work reasonably well if the re-install options is too painful. A minimal kickstart package set plus the few specific servers and I'm up and running. So again, I feel like we are already producing a good 0+1 now - what exactly changes?

- Orion

PS - I didn't use the word platform (damn)

PPS - I think our most useful efforts would be to reach out to the development communities each of us are involved in and urge them to join Fedora; to get the OS distribution perspective, and to give us more resources. Because that I think is what we're really lacking.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx