Re: Doc dir related changes coming up

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Related to the unversioned docdirs F-20 feature [1], some changes with
> doc packages will be needed in a bunch of packages. More info will
> follow later,

Ok, here it goes:

The special (pathless) %doc macro now installs docs to unversioned
/usr/share/doc/%{name} dir in Rawhide. Packages that don't refer to
their doc dir by any other means do not need any changes, just a
rebuild.

Packages that do refer to their doc dir by some other means will need
changes. It depends on the package if not addressing this will result
in a build failure or docs still being installed into "wrong"
(versioned) dirs. Either way the suggested way to handle this is by
using the %{_pkgdocdir} macro which is now in Rawhide, in
redhat-rpm-config >= 9.1.0-50.fc20. I'm guessing that this macro might
be backported to earlier Fedora releases (where it'll expand to a dir
appropriate for those releases) too at some point, but it is unclear
when, and also unclear if it will make it into EPEL. Luckily handling
this in backwards compatible manner in specfiles is quite unintrusive,
my suggestion would be to conditionally define %{_pkgdocdir} to
%{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version} where it doesn't exist, and use the
macro when referring to that dir, like so:

    %{!?_pkgdocdir: %global _pkgdocdir %{_docdir}/%{name}-%{version}}

One concrete example:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/portecle.git/commit/?id=f32020cce93e3680184cc5ef78210048108b7c79

> but I've started looking into the list of affected ones.

That list ended up longer than I thought. Unfortunately I don't have
access to it right now, but will post it later today -- IIRC the list
of potential ones was something like 600+ packages. Anyway maintainers
are welcome to start changing their affected packages already now.