Re: Proposal: ReadOnlyDirectories /etc and /usr for network-services

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 25.07.2013 20:31, schrieb drago01:

>>> if you are able to marry pure-ftpd, samba and 250 cms-installations predictable
>>> on a machine running also *self developed* managment-software for a complete
>>> infrastructure on 20 Fedora servers with SElinux go ahead :-)
>>
>> You missed the "and/or fix and file bugs" part
>
> you missed the  *self developed* managment-software

No I did not. The selinux policy is supposed to work fine for them as
well. You can
even amend the policy for your specific needs.

>> It does not work so lets disable it and add hacks to get the same
>> functionality back is bad practice.
>
> no, using as much as possible security options without
> damage the operational work is the one and only practice
> if it comes to *business* and a lot of people living
> from 365/24/7 up services with no "permissions denied"
> where it is not intented
>
>> If it does not work we should fix it
>
> *you* can *not* fix anything in packages

Sure I can done that countless times in the past or IOW no idea what
that is supposed to mean.

> in my case these are over more than 10 years grown environments

Irrelevant.

> responsible for over 600 domains which was migrated from MacOSX
> to Fedora years ago,

Irrelevant.

> there are a *lot* of packages involved which
> are not existing for Fedora in the public

There might still be bugs in them (and/or in the selinux-policy package).
Being more specific would be way more productive. Like "my app tries
to do X but fails with the following message".

You don't have to run enforcing straight out. You can start with
permissive, fix the bugs / your configuration and once you
have done that switch to enforcing.