Re: rpmconf and new feature to configure application

In my opinion, the best solution would be to automatically keep a copy
of the original configuration file (maybe RPM could do that - always
wondered why it doesn't, or one could use a tool like etckeeper).

For files in /etc that have to be changed, I usually make a backup
copy, enabling me to do a simple three-way file merge (see merge(1))
after an update:

$ cp -av foo foo.orig
$ vi foo # initial config

$ yum upgrade # this creates a foo.rpmnew

$ merge foo foo.orig foo.rpmnew
$ vi foo # in case there were conflicts
$ mv foo.rpmnew foo.orig

It would be supercool if rpmconf could aid in doing this workflow - or
maybe that's what the updated rpmconf in rawhide already does? ;)

- Thomas