Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

On 07/22/2013 10:51 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:38:54 -0400,
   Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Obviously, no-bundled-libs is a crucial part of the packaging guidelines
today. As a sysadmin, I know why it's important. This is not just a noble
goal, but also something that pragmatically makes systems better. But,
it's
also keeping us from having software that people really use in Fedora.
Chef
and Hadoop are two big examples. This hurts us more than it helps the
world.
So, in some areas, we need a different approach.

I'm a bit worried about this. We really want bundled libs to eventually
go away (for any particular bundled lib). This seems like it could
encourage permanently bundled libs. That is going to make some packages
conflicting for a very long time. (And the conflicting packages may not
be providing the same service, so that you'd need to run two instances
of Fedora to get both sets of services.)

With virt / cloud becoming easier.. is that not a common model? More smaller machines which are dedicated to one and only one service?

-- bk