Re: /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and Onstream tape drives

On 10/25/2004 03:30:04 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
Willem Riede (wrrhdev@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> What creates /etc/sysconfig/hwconf?

kudzu

> Does it drive everything else?

If you're referring to udev creating device nodes, no.

That part I've got working in my next release of osst.c which I'll be submitting soon upstream to linux-kernel/linux-scsi.

What I'm trying to also make work is that osst.ko gets auto-loaded at boot, just as st.ko does today. If that doesn't happen, a FC3 system won't have osst device nodes, which would seriously inconvenience Onstream owners.

Having hwconf be correct in and of itself is a nice-to-have, if it doesn't drive anything else.

How does one tell whether a device uses osst vs st?

By vendor and type returned by the device. In terms of hwconf, if "desc:" starts with "Onstream SC", "Onstream DI", "Onstream USB", or "Onstream FW", then the device needs the osst device driver. Note that "Onstream ADR Series" is reported by a second generation drive, which should be driven by st.

Alternatively, if "st" reports the following line to syslog:
Oct 23 08:55:18 fallguy kernel: st: The suggested driver is osst.

Thanks, Willem Riede.