Re: Webapps denying all outside access by default?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's a vastly safer initial setup than leaving it wide open, by
> default. this applies to many tools such as Nagios and cacti, that may
> share information about your system that you really should review
> before exposing.

Right. Cacti's particularly bad. One example is the installation UX:
When you install Cacti, Cacti does not display the normal web
interface. Instead, it will show you (and everyone else who loads
/cacti/) an upgrade UI, allowing you to change or confirm the binary
paths to several the tools that run every five minutes in cron. The
same thing happens when you upgrade the RPM: an admin could
inadvertently allow anyone the opportunity to change those tools'
paths. This means that you not only have to watch out for Cacti
installs that haven't been clicked-through, but you have to do the
same click-through process after every update too.

At least Wordpress requires you to log into the web interface as an
admin to finish an upgrade (eg from 3.5.1 -> 3.5.2). If you don't do
that right away, it's ok, because the frontend will still continue to
operate. If only more web apps worked that way.

The bad security in the installer, plus the long track record of
vulnerabilites in Cacti itself, convinces me that restricting web
access to Cacti by default is a good idea.

I do agree that the .rpmnew thing is annoying, and I wish there was a
better way to handle that.

- Ken