Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Thu, 18.07.13 14:56, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > In the default output we stay true to the formatting that has been used
> > in /var/log/messages since always.
> >
> > We currently do not use the ISO date format anywhere, it's not really
> > readable, I think.
>
> It's not really readable because you're not used to seeing it. You're not
> used to seeing it because you (and others) have invented custom
> alternatives. Seems a self-inflicted problem to me (just like most of the
> "UTF-8 is too complex, it's simpler to use _pet-endoding_" were)

No, it's not readable, because it's just not readable. It doesn't
include whitespace as separators, which could help people to read the
string. It also doesn't include day of week information which is highly
interesting to most people.

But anyway, I understand you like ISO, and think it is readable. I don't
agree, but we just have to agree to disagree on this one. It might
thrill you though to learn that I just commited a patch by Tomasz that
adds an ISO output mode to journalctl. "journalctl -o short-iso" is your
friend.

And the nice thing: you can actually switch forth and back with this at
display time! Instead of choosing your date format before the log files
are written, you can actually choose at display time! How awesome is
that?

> > Great way to serialize dates, recurring and duration
> > events to ascii strings for computers to read, but not really for
> > humans.
> >
> > Note that in all other places we tend to use date format like this: "Tue
> > 2013-07-16 18:41:57 CEST" Which is close to ISO, but not ISO.
>
> While replacing T with space is common (even though it will break field
> tokenization in many apps) Tue is a pure Englicism (useless in most parts
> of the world) and CEST will break interoperability (since people love to
> invent new names for time zones. That's why the ISO numeric adjustment is
> way saner).

The "Tue" is actually in your local language based on system
locale. Hence for you "mar." or so.

> Also "tend to" means "I'm not consistent and other apps and people can not
> rely on any specific convention when dealing with me"

Well, if you think we are generally confused and unreliable folks, then
go ahead and think that.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.