Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Tue, 16.07.13 21:50, Reindl Harald (h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > While I'm no more important than the next guy, I'll defend the auto-pager feature of both git and journalctl.  I
> > love it, in fact.  I'm no stranger to very long pipelines and sub-shells but I see nothing but benefit in not
> > having to add "| less" routinely to things that are UI in nature.  These auto-pagers get out of the way immediately
> > if you need a pipeline, so what's the harm?  In fact, you can still "journalctl | less" or the like if you really
> > want to.
>
> you could also do
> alias journalctl="journalctl | less"
> to achive the same

No you can't really. The auto-paging is smarter than you might
think. For example, "journalctl -e" can only really work if we spawn the
pager ourselves, and there's more like that.

But anyway, the auto-paging thing is going to stay, you can talk about
it as much as you want. Why? Simply because *I* love it. It's one
awesome feature. You are welcome to disagree, but discussing this forth
and back on fedora-devel is highly unlikely to change my mind on
this. As long as I maintain it, this one feature definitely stays
in. Sorry for that!

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.