Re: cloud images and journald/rsyslog

On 15 July 2013 16:39, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm putting this in a separate thread so it doesn't get buried in the
enthusiasm over the other one. :)

Here's our dilemma (Or trilemma?) in the Fedora Cloud SIG.

1) Double-logging is a significant waste of scarce resources

Well I can see IO resources as being scarse but how scarse are we really talking? [There comes a point where cutting down the size of an image isn't going to help a bit because it takes up the same number of sectors on a disk whether its X Mb or Y Mb.

2) If we disable persistent journald (the f19 approach), we lose the
   nice features that journalctl offers. And, they really are nice.

3) If we leave out rsyslog, we lose text /var/log/messages ...
   ... which is less of a big deal from the server-room emergency-analysis
       angle that might apply in the general case ...
   ... but it's a pretty big change from the rest of Fedora, and we'd
       prefer not to do that just for the cloud image.

So if I am going to spin up a lot of boxes.. I am going to want those logs not on one box but transmitted to a central location. Does journald have remote logging capabilities (will it?)

As it is, I don't have a problem with it not being in minimal but being in the @standard setting.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.