Re: F20 System Wide Change: SSD cache

Am Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:42:29 +0000
schrieb devel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:25:49 -0700
> From: Conrad Meyer <cemeyer@xxxxxx>
> To: Development discussions related to Fedora
> 	<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: F20 System Wide Change: SSD cache
>
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 13:57:39 -0400
> DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think this is a bad idea, at least for my setup.  I
> > really don't want my small expensive boot SSD being beaten
> > to death trying to cache a multi-terabyte array, especially
> > since I have plenty of RAM that already serves that purpose
> > (the machine rarely reboots).
>
> Actually, bcache is very good about *not* wearing out SSDs --
> it writes in giant erase block-sized portions and likely you
> can tune how much is written.
>
> And either of these layers must be turned on by an admin --
> it's not going to be shoved down your throat.
>
> > At the very least, this feature should be disabled if the
> > SSD is the boot/root drive.  When SSDs fail, they fail
> > completely, and it's irresponsible to cause early failure
> > on a drive that's critical for booting and OS operation.
>
> By default, bcache runs a write-through cache -- it only
> caches clean data. If the caching SSD dies, the bcache layer
> can just forward requests to spinning drive. No data is lost.
>
> (Bcache has a writeback mode where data loss is possible. I
> do not recommend this mode.)
>
> > Also, I think such features should be postponed
> > until/unless there's a clear and obvious way to
> > configure/disable them that doesn't involve installing
> > additional packages or editing obscure text files.
>
> Again -- no one is forcing you to use this. It's opt-in.
>
> Conrad

Hmm,
for me me this is more a question how can i configure bcache or dm-cache in a system which use more than one SSD and some conventional hard-disk.
Seems like only you or some kernel devs know about how to do this.
Can you give a configuration example for f19?
For example, i use 4 SSD at a hardware-raid for my several systems (f17/f18/f19/rawhide), i called it A, i need this for testing compiz on baremetal for all current fedora releases.
On a second hardware-raid- controller i have 4 conventional disks to store my data, i called it B.
So, if i add another SSD for bcache or dm-cache, i called C, how can i configure it?
1. this configuration should not control disk A
2. disk C should use as cache for disk B

Is this possible to configure?
Do you have a link with more info's and configuration examples.

best regards,
Wolfgang