Re: F20 Self Contained Change: Application Installer

On 11. 7. 2013 at 12:59:42, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > > (echo issue with a different backend that Toshio had)
> >
> > I haven't seen Toshio's mail, so I apologize for possible redundancy:
> >
> > From an earlier FESCo decision
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/669#comment:24 :
> > > The RPM package installation GUI that is installed by default should use
> > > the same dependency solver/backend as the non-GUI default.>
> > Is this Change implicitly asking FESCo to revoke this requirement?
>
> Yes, if you want to put it that way. We want to use a backend that can
> supported the desired user experience.
>
> The hawkey stack is groomed to replace yum anyway. All we're asking is
> that we can use it early, so we can provide the testing exposure they
> need and ensure that hawkey does actually support the things we need.
>
> Without that, there's a very real danger that hawkey/dnf end up
> producing a perfect copy of yum (including all of the problems)...

Don't worry, that's not gonna happen. Hawkey has been built on top of libsolv
library that implements a different solver than yum uses. Under no
circumstances will this change. The more likely scenario is that gnome-
software/PackageKit will be forced by the policy to use the old yum which will
make future adoption of dnf much more difficult.

Thanks
Jan