Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On 07/11/2013 04:11 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
To expand on this a bit, how do you believe that merging ARM into the
build system is going to encourage growth in Fedora?  What will it buy
you that you don't already have?  At first glance, it gets you
slightly more timely builds.  However, you've already proven that
timely builds isn't an issue at all by having ARM releases ready the
same day as primary.  So please, elaborate on that in the proposal.
You have a lot of what you want listed, but not why.

Speaking just for the build system change, I see these benefits (There may be others, I don't run the build system):

1. Running koji-shadow is often a full-time job. The person doing the job could be working on ARM issues directly instead of being a build nanny.

2. Koji-shadow can introduce SA rpms who have a different NVR dependencies than PA. There are numerous koji-shadow issues, really.

3. Build failures on ARM aren't always ARM specific- it can serve as a notice of problems present but not yet observed on other architectures, perhaps hidden by accidental alignment, etc.

4. Failures like those in #4 benefit all secondaries, not just ARM. Solve it in PA, or we end up solving it once in ARM, once in Power, once in s390... it's a lot of wasted, redundant effort.

5. Primary packagers are already fixing ARM build failures, they're just doing it a day or a week later. They don't know there is an issue until we tell them. We're talking about cutting out the middle man.

6. It simplifies releng and infrastructure in that there is one less secondary to handle, one less koji server to maintain, one less set of firewall exceptions to honor, and whatever else goes into maintaining the distinction.

etc.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx