Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On 07/10/2013 04:09 PM, Peter Jones wrote:
That doesn't mean that the release criteria as they stand aren't good
for ARM - but they're criteria for evaluating RCs, not the criteria for
ARM as a PA.

Right

It's two different things, and it's important that we not confuse them.
The question isn't "is $DESKTOP not working a release blocker" - it may
or may not be.  The question is "is the infrastructure for normal
desktops to work required to be a PA".
I would think that each sub community like for example Gnome would be the ones ultimately responsible for setting/creating their own release criteria surrounding Gnome, testing it and arguable also be the ones who decide which primary architectures it would be released on based on their ( sub-community ) release cycle while KDE for example would have completely another release cycle aligned to it's upstream.

But as things stand now neither our infrastructure,releng,qa and general procedures allow for such flexibility and adoption by sub-communities ( but should be something for us to work towards to ).

so for PA to become primary I would think the only requirement would be does our components build correctly for that architecture not necessary work ( with the exception of the base/core OS ) since it would be up to the sub-communities to ensure the releases on the PA which they intend to release on meets their criteria and works at release time.

And I think right now, the assumption from outside the ARM team has been
that for ARM as a PA, we do want functionality to have parity with other
PAs, and so yes, that infrastructure should be ready.

I would think so as well.

JBG