Re: Minimal install diff from F16 to F19 (TC6)

On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:15:11 AM Glen Turner wrote:

> What we don't want is a scenario where configuring these protocols on
> servers has to be done by network engineers. We want them configured from
> a GUI and supervised by a master daemon. Let's call that "NetworkManager".

Suggestion: rip off all logic from said GUI and make it just a dumb shell on
top of a family of binaries, each packaged separately, which it invokes as
dictated by mouse clicks. The goal is to make said GUI expendable with no loss
of functionality, and have multiple independent GUIs which cannot conflict.
Same for the daemon, even more so, as the GUI exits when it is done but the
daemon is always around so it has to be worth it.

This way, who has a use case for the GUI and/or daemon installs them, the
others do not. Everybody is happy.

For example, desktops would almost surely install the GUI, while large scale
deployments would hate having to use the GUI for anything. On the other hand
some scenarios, such as simple home networks or stable enterprise setups,
would have no use for the daemon.

Plus, you can write the binaries in a resource thrifty language, the daemon in
a easily maintained language and the GUI each in its own language, toolkit or
whatever. You could also introduce agents for distributed management, they
would look like GUIs or daemons to the underlying layers. Oops, I said that.

Davide Bolcioni